Firm, beautiful facial skin is a worthy goal for life-long skin care. Two naturally occurring proteins, collagen and elastin, play important roles in meeting that goal. You may have heard of them, read about them and possibly have wondered what they are.
- Collagen is a very abundant protein found in your nails, skin, hair, muscles, tendons and other parts of your body – it is an important component of your body’s connective tissue. Collagen helps your skin stay smooth and firm. It also aids in the formation of new skin cells and keeps harmful toxins at bay.
- Elastin is a protein that helps your skin stay young by keeping it flexible and elastic, thus countering the effects of gravity on your skin. There is less elastin in your body than collagen, but they work together to keep your skin flexible, firm and youthful looking.
Your body has less of these critical proteins as you age, and, as a result, your skin becomes loose, saggy and thin. It also damages more easily and is more susceptible to the effects of gravity. Fine lines and wrinkles appear and your skin may sag, which creates the appearance of jowls and a double chin.
It’s impossible to completely prevent the visible signs of aging, but there are some things you can do to protect the collagen and elastin in your body and keep your skin looking young for as long as possible:
- Stop smoking. Just do it.
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Avoid spending too much time in the sun – and always use sunscreen when you are outside.
And, as many of our client’s do, consider one of the cosmetic treatments we offer to counter the visual signs of aging. We proudly offer Restylane® and Perlane® – FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal fillers that correct moderate to severe facial wrinkles and folds.
Call us for a consultation, today, to learn more about the anti-aging, cosmetic procedures we offer our clients: (732) 449-0167.