Of course you have heard of or may even have used Botox®, but you may not know much about it and how it works.
So…here are EIGHT facts about the most popular aesthetic cosmetic procedure in the world:
- The FDA approved Botox® for eye spasms in 1989, and approved it for wrinkles, creases and frown lines in 2002.
- Botox® is made from botulinum toxin type A, a neurotoxic protein produced by bacteria…the same bacteria that causes the disease botulis.
- Decades ago, scientists found that injecting tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A into a muscle temporarily paralyzed that muscle. Why is this important for your face? Because muscles are the cause of wrinkles around the forehead and eyes.
- Wrinkles form because you make repeated muscle contractions when you laugh, frown and squint. When injected into the muscle, Botox® blocks nerve signals to that muscle, stopping its contraction. Without the contraction, the wrinkle above the muscle either disappears or dramatically lessens.
- Botox® results are not immediate. Unlike fillers, Botox® takes about a week to fully relax the muscle. The full results last from four to six months, but many people have found that results last longer.
- The frown area between the eyes is the most common area to be treated and usually requires five small pokes with a fine needle. It is surprisingly easy.
- The degree of improvement depends on how deep the creases are when you begin treatment, but everyone will see improvement.
- Botox® does wear off. Most of our patients love it, however, and return for repeat injections. If you do happen to experience a very rare side effect, Botox® will wear off and everything will go back to normal.
- Why get Botox®?
- PREVENTION: Botox® slows down the creation of lines and creases.
- FACIAL RELAXATION:Botox® eases that “angry” look.
- LIFT: Depending on which way certain muscles pull, Botox® can give a lift to your eyes and mouth corners helping you look more rested.
The Holidays are upon us! Call and schedule an appointment with Dr. Lobuono to discuss the benefits of Botox®: 732.449.0167.